Generally speaking, the process works like this:
1. You contact a mason who will meet with you and discuss the process further, and answer any initial questions you may have. A few other brothers from the lodge may also meet with you to chat and to help you decide if you would like to proceed further.
2. You will fill out a formal application, and an investigations committee will review your application and will call you to set up an interview. Two lodge members will sign the application as well to act as your sponsors. Your sponsors will be lodge brothers who you know, or have met in the initial meeting.
3. The investigations committee will conduct an interview and ask the required questions that ensure your suitability for masonry, typically at your home or somewhere else comfortable for you. You are encouraged to have your spouse or partner present at the interview, as it is important that they have their questions answered that they may have about the fraternity. It is also important that your spouse understand any time and financial commitments that you are undertaking, and for them to know about the opportunities for them to get involved with the other families in the lodge and Masonry in general.
4. If everything goes as expected, the investigation committee will present your application to the lodge. You will then get a phone call and be given a date for your initiation.
5. To get ready for the initiation, you should wear appropriate formal attire (suit and tie), and have the membership fees with you. A brother from the lodge will pick you up and escort you to the lodge, where you will have a meal and meet other members before the initiation happens. It's important to relax, have fun, and remember that every other member of the lodge has gone through the same process!
Masons should not be soliciting members to join. If you are interested in joining the fraternity you should reach out to a mason you know, or contact us through our website and we will get in touch.
A.F. & A.M.
Do I need to be religious?
The basic requirements are that you need to believe in a supreme being, be of mature age (21 years), and have good morals.
Is it expensive?
There is a cost for membership and various regalia. It is not meant to be a financial burden, and the costs will be discussed when you meet.
How long does it take?
It will at least take a few months from the time you apply, have the interview, and are initiated. After that, you can progress through the degrees in as little as 3 months. Many members complete the three degrees in about 6-12 months.